Paul Rubens Professional Watercolor Paint Set Artist Grade, 24 Vivid Colors with Portable Metal Box for Artists, Beginners, Hobbyists, StudentsView on Amazon
ARTEZA Gouache Paint, 60 Colors, 12ml, 0.4 US fl oz Tubes, Water-Based Paint for Canvas and Paper, Art Supplies for Professionals, Students, and KidsView on Amazon
Last update on 2022-08-14 / Affiliate links / Images, Product Titles, and Product Highlights from Amazon Product Advertising API
Clueless about the best gouache paint to buy? Here, we’ll round up some of the top products that should make it on your list.
1. Winsor & Newton Designers’ Gouache Primary Color 6-Tube Paint Set
Manufactured by a company that has been around since 1935, this gouache paint set is one of the best to consider. The brand name itself can already make you confident about its overall quality.
This set is inclusive of six primary colors in 14ml tubes. The colors are Zinc White, Green Medium, Ivory Black, Primary Blue, Permanent Green Medium, Primary Red, and Primary Yellow.
It will make a great set of choice for beginners. While there are only six colors, it can be sufficient for most basic works.
Intermixability is one of the best things about this product. You can mix it with gouache paints from the same brand, as well as with watercolor.
The matte finish of this gouache paint is also impressive. This is made possible by the Gum Arabic binding, which is mixed with a high level of pigmentation. The latter, on the other hand, is the one responsible for its exceptional color brilliance. The matte finish also minimizes reflection when taking pictures of a finished artwork.
- High-quality paint
- Excellent color brilliance
- Has a nice matte finish
- Does not re-wet well
- Color dilution can be an issue
2. 24 Colors Paul Rubens Watercolor Paint Artist-Grade Solid Cakes Travel Pocket Watercolor Set
If you are looking for variety, then you have one good reason to choose this product over its competitors. The set is inclusive of 24 colors.
The watercolor uses gum Arabic as one of its main materials. This is a binding agent that will help ensure its strength and permanence. This is unlike other low-quality products that can be easily prone to fading.
Every batch is tested and analyzed to make sure that it meets the company’s quality requirements. This way, you will have an assurance that you are buying nothing but the best.
You might also appreciate how you can remove and rearrange each color. You can have them positioned strategically depending on what you prefer.
Although, there are also some complaints about the watercolor. For instance, there are people who did not like that it may easily crack and that the case may not close properly.
- Available in a variety of bright colors
- Easy to use
- Made of high-quality pigments
- Some colors can easily crack
- Case may not close properly
3. M. Graham 1/2-ounce Tube 5-Color Gouache Primary Set
This is a good beginner-friendly set for the best gouache paint. It includes five primary colors that will be more than enough for the needs of most users.
One thing that makes this unique is the use of honey. Pure blackberry honey is mixed with gum Arabic. It improves the flow while also keeping the paint moist. This also improves its strength, making it less prone to cracks.
It is also extremely opaque, which is one of the defining characteristics of a gouache paint. Otherwise, you should have just settled with a watercolor. More than its opaqueness, we also love this gouache paint because of its matte finish. This will give your work more personality or character.
Lastly, we also love how the colors come with high pigments. With this, you can expect that there will be deep and vibrant colors. A little amount is sure to go a long way!
- Holds up well after drying
- Great consistency
- Not prone to streaking
- Can be easily a source of stain
- Tube can be flimsy
4. ARTEZA Gouache Paint Set of 60 Colors
If you are looking for affordable options for the best gouache paint, this is one product that should be on your list. It can provide the best bang for the buck because there are already 60 colors in one set, which is one of the widest selections you will find in the market.
The colors are also rich and vibrant, although, it is not uncommon that you will come across some that may seem transparent. This should not be much of a problem since most colors are sure to stand out.
The paints are also quick-drying, so you don’t need to wait for a long time before it is done. Even better with just the addition of water, it can be reactivated.
It is also a good thing that it is non-toxic. Even if it will be used by kids, there is no need to worry since it does not contain harsh chemicals.
As a bonus, the tubes are packaged in a convenient case or box. This makes it easy to have the paint organized.
Not happy with the quality of the gouache paint? You don’t have to waste your money. With the satisfaction guarantee that the manufacturer offers, you will be eligible for a refund or replacement.
- Huge color selection
- Comes with a convenient case
- Some colors seem transparent
- Can easily crack
5. Caran D’Ache Gouache Studio 15 Assorted Colors Set in Metal Tin
With 15 rich colors available, this is another great option for a high-quality gouache paint. Among others, we liked how it is inclusive of a nice no.8 brush. It also has a metal tin that will make this great if you are looking for portability.
Made in Switzerland, the manufacturer takes pride in the quality of their products. This can resist cracking, unlike its lower-end counterparts.
It also uses all-natural binders. This makes it tougher while also making sure that there will be a velvety finish. It does not contain plasticizers. It is also water-soluble. Although, there are some users who were not quite happy with the streaks that the gouache paint creates.
Lastly, you will also like the heavy pigmentation that results in rich and vibrant colors. It also has excellent light resistance.
- Comes with a high-quality brush
- Rich, creamy, and pigmented colors
- Packed in a portable tin
- Can be streaky
- Some colors may be hardly opaque
6. Turner Acrylic Gouache Paint Set
Wrapping up our recommendations for the best gouache paint is a 35th Anniversary Limited Edition Set from Turner Colour Works. It is fully-pigmented without using heavy metal pigments, so you can be sure of the vibrant colors that it can produce.
The manufacturer also states that they use a small amount of binder in their paints. This is a good thing because this means that the color shift will be minimal. It stays almost true to its initial color even after the paint dries.
Ease of use is another good thing about this product. The colors will spread smoothly regardless of the surface where you are working on. You will also love how it dries quickly. After drying, it leaves an attractive matte finish.
- Has high-quality pigments
- Great texture
- Dries quickly
- Paint can be too hard
- Paint swatches can be streaky
You will be overwhelmed with the tons of options available on the market. To help you make the right choice, below are the most important things to consider.
- Colors: When you buy gouache paints, in most cases, they are available as a kit. So, consider the options available and make sure they are right for your needs. Aside from this, you also need to make sure that the colors are vibrant, which is one thing that you can expect from a gouache paint.
- Ease of Use: For the gouache paint to be easy to use, it is recommended that you pick one that comes in the form of tubes instead of pans. The paint should come with tubes that will be easy to squeeze.
- Drying Time: Pick a gouache paint that dries quickly. Some will dry almost instantly upon exposure while others will take about five minutes. If you want one that is quick-drying, go for acrylic gouache.
While the using the best gouache paint can help, to improve the quality of your work, take note of the tips briefly mentioned below.
- Do not use gouache right out of the tube or pan. Add water but take note that a little goes a long way. To be safe, it is best that you use a spray bottle. Lightly mist the paint with water and mix it before using. Dilution is important because it improves the consistency of the paint and gives it a tougher look.
- Be careful about layering. Gouache isn’t layer-friendly. It can be prone to cracking if you add a lot of layers. This can also make your work look bumpy. If you want to do layers, you need to learn the dry brushing technique. By using a slightly wet gouache, this is a good way to retain texture.
- It is also important that you get the right color. Take note that once gouache dries, the color tends to be lighter than the original. It is best to try the color first on a sheet of paper and let it dry so that you will know how exactly it looks like in the end.
- Pay attention to your choice of brushes. They are equally important as the paint you will be using. Once you are finish, clean the brushes immediately so that you can retain their peak shape and performance.
With its heavy and velvety texture, which is more pronounced compared to watercolor, you can expect gouache to make a lovely work of art!
If you are clueless about what to choose, consider our suggestions above for the best gouache paint. For sure, you won’t have regrets using them. Whether you are a beginner or an expert, these gouache paints can provide the best back for the buck.