Whether it is an in-ground or above-ground pool, it can be a treat to have one at home, especially during summers! Nonetheless, pools are also notoriously known for being dirty and unhygienic, so you need to find a way to keep it clean.
While there are many pool cleaners that are available on the market, not all of them can deliver the same high level of effectiveness. Read the rest of this post and learn from some of our recommendations based on best pool cleaner reviews by Consumer Reports.
Types of Automatic Pool Cleaners
Before we start, let us first have a quick look at the three types of pool cleaners, which will make it easier for you to decide which one is most appropriate for your needs.
Suction-Side Pool Cleaners: For this to function, you will need to connect it to the existing pump of the swimming pool. There is a hose that will connect it to the pool’s skimmer. It is a favorite amongst many because it is cheap and requires minimal maintenance.
Pressure-Side Pool Cleaners: This will be connected to a booster pump or the pressure side of the swimming pool. The pressurized water is the one that will power the cleaner, allowing it to move around the swimming pool.
Robotic Pool Cleaners: If you are looking for a tech-advanced and easy way to clean your swimming pool, this product can offer the perfect solution. It functions as if it has a mind of its own, like a robotic vacuum. It has a set-and-forget function, so you can leave it on its own as it effectively cleans the pool, even the walls.
The Benefits of Using a Pool Cleaner
Some people might see a pool cleaner as a luxury rather than a necessity. Truth is, it is a must-have as it can deliver a variety of benefits, including those that are listed below:
- It helps to keep the water crystal-clear and hygienic. This is an effective way to get rid of impurities and contaminants that can pose serious health problems, especially among kids.
- It will make your life a lot easier. There is no need to clean it manually. With the use of the right pool cleaning equipment, you will be able to do the task quickly.
- It improves the lifespan of your pool while also enhancing its aesthetics. Especially for above-ground pools, keeping them clean will be essential in making them withstand the test of time.
- It helps to save money in the long-run. The initial cost can be steep, but this is going to help you save since you can keep the pool clean on your own rather than paying a professional to do the job for you.
Top 6 Best Pool Cleaners Consumer Ratings & Reports for 2021
Below are some of the brands and models that should be on your radar, as well as the things that make them exceptional.
1. Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
If you feel too lazy to be cleaning the pool, this product can offer the perfect solution. It is an automatic pool cleaner, which works pretty much like a robot vacuum. It is smart enough to work on its own. You can leave it under the pool and let it take care of the cleaning task.
Looking at the features, one thing that makes this impressive is the presence of dual scrubbing brushes. This makes it two times better in cleaning compared to those with a single brush system. This means that even tough dirt can be easily removed.
To add, it also utilizes the Clever Clean Scanning technology, which has been developed by the manufacturer to make the robot deliver superior cleaning performance. This makes sure that no part of the pool will be left uncleaned. It uses a state-of-the-art algorithm to be able to maximize the area coverage.
2. Hayward Poolvergnuegen 896584000-013 The Pool Cleaner Automatic Suction Pool Vacuum
Made by one of the most trusted brands within the product category, one of its exceptional features is the two-wheel drive system, making it easy to move around. The wheels have a pre-programmed steering mechanism, so you do not have to think about the maneuverability. The tire treads are constructed in such a way that it will be easy for them to climb the walls.
It also has self-adjusting turbines, a technology that has been exclusively developed by the manufacturer. The latter will ensure that the power is maximized regardless of the flow of water. This also allows it to take even large dirt particles.
The adjustable roller skirt also comes with a patented design. This makes it possible for the suction to remain strong and powerful even when cleaning on an uneven surface.
3. Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner
This is designed to work in all in-ground pools, making care and maintenance a breeze to accomplish. From the walls to the floor, you can be sure that the performance is hard to match. Whether it is vacuuming, sweeping, or scrubbing, this is sure to do the job efficiently.
Design-wise, we love how the filter bag comes with a large capacity. In the case of smaller ones, you will need to empty the bag frequently, which can be a hassle. This will also be effective in prolonging the lifespan of your pool’s filtration system.
The large opening of the debris intake is also notable. This means that even large dirt and debris, such as leaves and other foreign objects will be easy to take.
However, take note that because this is a pressure side pool cleaner, you will need to have it connected to a booster pump.
4. XtremepowerUS Automatic Suction Vacuum
One of the first things that you will notice in this product is the generous size of the cleaning head, which is actually a good thing since this means that there will be a wide cleaning path. This means that it will be able to clean more in a single pass, so you do not have to waste too much time.
It is also worth noting that it offers some options when it comes to customization. You can adjust it so that it can climb the walls and reach different areas of the pool.
The cleaner comes with ten hoses, which you can connect if you want it to be longer. It is divided into sections that can be adjusted depending on the length that you will need.
However, take note of the technical requirements of this product as it needs to be connected to an existing pool pump. The minimum power that is needed of the pool pump is 1 HP.
5. Water Tech Pool Blaster Catfish Li Pool and Spa Cleaner
It might not be as popular as the products that have been mentioned above, but it can deliver an impressive performance, so we have included this on our list. Among others, one thing that we loved in this product is the lithium-ion battery. When it is fully charged, it can deliver a cleaning time of up to 45 minutes. Meanwhile, on average, it will take about four hours for the battery to be recharged.
The product includes only the cleaning head. You will need a telescopic pole if you want to move easily when cleaning the pool.
However, one of the issues with this product is the shape of the cleaning head. Since it is rectangular, it may be inefficient in cleaning rectangular pools and can leave out the edges or corners.
6. Zodiac Baracuda G3 W03000 Advanced Suction Side Automatic Pool Cleaner
It cleans without you knowing that it is demonstrating a powerful cleaning performance since it stays ultra-quiet while it works. You can connect it to a low-speed pump, which will make it possible to maximize its efficiency.
The construction of this product makes its quality second to none. One of the things that we loved is the disc, which is designed with 36 fins. It is made of a strong material that will allow it to effortlessly tackle even tough dirt. It is also flexible enough so that it can clean even tight corners or edges of the pool.
In terms of its maneuverability, this can also prove to be a good product. Moving it around does not need to be a difficult task. It is also not prone to being stuck because it is fitted with a wheel deflector, making sure that it will be cleaning continuously.
Choosing the Best Pool Cleaners
Aside from the type of pool cleaner to choose, which we have discussed in the opening of this post, there are other equally important factors that you have to take into account:
Ease of Use: The best option is one that will require minimal time and effort on your end. If it is too complicated, it can be a headache to operate and you will most likely end up being frustrated.
Capacity: If you are using a cleaner that comes with a bag to store the dirt that it has collected, make sure that it is large enough so that it will not require frequent emptying.
Compatibility: You need to choose a cleaner that is compatible with the pool that you have at home, such as whether you have an in-ground or above ground pool. The pool material will also be important to consider.
Other Ways to Keep Your Pool Clean
While it can indeed help to use a pool cleaner, this is not the only solution. That said, below are some of the things that you can do to make sure that your swimming pool will stay clean:
- When the pool is not used, consider putting a pool cover or net. This might make it look less appealing, but it is a practical solution to keep dirt and debris away, especially leaves.
- Check the chemical levels consistently. It is recommended that you check at least once a week and do the necessary adjustments.
- Learn how to shock your swimming pool. This will be important in retaining the quality of water and preventing eye irritation, among other problems. There are some chlorine products that already comes with built-in shockers, so you can use them.
- Make it a habit to check the filters regularly. You need to clean it manually using brushes and other tools.
- Pay attention to the level of water in your swimming pool. Most experts suggest that it should be about ½ way to the opening of he skimmer.
- The tile line needs to be cleaned at least once a week for the reduction of build-up.
Keep your swimming pool in its tip-top condition with the use of the cleaners that have been mentioned above. They will keep the water crystal-clear and remove the contaminants that are possibly present!